Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A House Full


Growing up in a large family is interesting. I don't think a lot of people understand the complexity of the situation. There are things you must learn to survive the crazy life of a big family that others would have never thought about. As my parents always said, "home is the biggest training ground." Boy, is it ever! But for some reason, I wouldn't trade it for the world. The perfect description of this is found in Kung-Fu-Panda (the greatest movie out there as my Uncle Rick says). I love it when Po goes through training and he's horrible at it. He falls and fails time and time again and yet he keeps picking himself up and acting like he had the greatest time of his life! Ok, so it's not the best description. My point was that no matter how hard it is to live with family (and it's always hard because you live in close proximity to people, a lot of them, all with different ideas, expectations and plans) at the end of the day your so in awe and in love with those around you, you couldn't imagine being anywhere else. That is FAMILY. So, what is it really like to grow up in a large family? Well, here are a few things that those who have a lot of siblings will understand.

1. No. Personal. Space. (seriously. none.)
I have eluded to this in previous posts. It is one of the most challenging parts of living in a big family for me personally. Somehow you learn to live with it. As the oldest, I sometimes felt like I was a jungle gym. Somehow I got to be the fun cousin who was willing to play "dogs" with all the little cousins. Now, at any family gathering I can't sit quietly in the corner and listen to adults talk. No. I get drug here and there by little cousins determined to make me play "dogs" or "cowboys and indians" or be Noah's horse....Oh my knees and back....I'm getting to old for all this.
"When brothers agree, no fortress is so strong as their 
common life."― Antisthenes
How is it that in such a large house, I still can't escape? It's getting better now that we are growing up and some of us are moving out, but even in our large house it still seems you can't escape people. To this day, my brother will barge into my room, plop himself on my bed and start talking my ear off! The only way I can stand it is that he usually brings a cup of coffee with him. (Thank Goodness!!) So there are benefits to no personal space. Another good thing is that if keeps you accountable. Try sneaking into the cookie jar with that many siblings! Trust me, someone is going to know you did it and the only way to keep them quiet is if they are in it with you. You can fight all day but as soon as there is a possibility of you both getting in trouble there is a secret bond, code of honor, or truce that occurs between siblings. You can't rat them out unless they don't have anything on you...which is unlikely.

2. Getting called every name but your own
Sigh...whenever my mom tried calling me when I was younger it was always "Julie, Jeff....I mean Jacquelyn!" Yep. I got called my uncle's name! When we get in trouble and mom gets all riled up its funny to hear her yell at you and suddenly in the midst of her rant yell your siblings name. She pauses and then is like, "wait I mean Jacquelyn." and then burst out in laughter. My grandma also had this problem. But in her defense  my cousin's names all start with the same letter in one family. So it wasn't abnormal for me to stand there as my grandma sought to find my name. "Kendra, Kayla, Kelsey...Jacquelyn." Oh the struggle! I have such a unique name and somehow no one could remember it...

3.  Getting Mistaken for Another Family Member
Having three brothers right under me is a benefit. Not many people confused me with my brothers. However, as I got older, Anna and I have apparently confused people. I love how people will do a double take and be like, "Oh, I thought you were your sister." and when I would answer the phone, "Oh, you sound just like your mom." When we were younger our parents got us confused! I guess there was just too much going on and too many people running around but it wasn't uncommon for your parent to be yelling at you, turn around, look at you, and suddenly be like, "Your not Hunter!" No. No, I'm not. "Were did he go?" I don't know mom, he wasn't here when I got here.




4. The Early Bird gets the Good Cereal
I grew up with three brothers!!! THREE!!!! Do you know what it's like to try and find food in a house with THREE BOYS! If you didn't wake up earlier than them and sneak into the kitchen to find breakfast you were left with no milk and the cereal that no one wanted to eat...I eventually gave up. I loved the Christmas' that mom would have us do a cereal exchange. She would wrap up boxes of cereal and then we would draw cards to see who opened first. The next person could open a new one or steal and so on until we all had our own cereal. And if you were lucky, you got your favorite kind and were able to write your name on it and NO ONE was allowed to eat it without your permission! Pretty much the only time I got good cereal for breakfast.
"Sometimes siblings can get in each other's space." 
― Gisele Bündchen
5. Hand-me-downs
Now this is where having three brother's comes in handy. I didn't have to deal with all the hand-me-downs. But, I have seen it at work in our family. My brothers had to deal with it and later my sisters had to deal with it. I actually thought it was cool that my cousins Kendra and Kayla had matching dresses and then Kelsey would always get their hand-me-downs. She hated it but I would convince her that it was awesome and that she could have Kendra's hand-me-downs and I could have Kayla's and then we could have matching dresses to wear on Sundays. Now that my sisters are almost taller than me, I get the benefit of having another closet. It really isn't hand-me-downs and sometimes sharing with younger sisters is not my favorite thing to do but when you are looking for just the right shoes for an outfit and she has some, its pretty awesome.

So having a lot of siblings can challenging at times, but I wouldn't have wanted to grow up any other way. I am pretty sure I wouldn't survive without you guys! From building forts in the back yard, to playing 2-on-2 football, or fighting over the real rules of Monopoly, life just wouldn't be the same without you!! I'm pretty proud to be your older sister and you can barge into my room anytime you want...as long as you bring me coffee. :)

 "We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common  thread that bound us all together." ― Erma Bombeck


No comments:

Post a Comment