Sunday, February 28, 2016

This is not my Home


I have been convicted to write this post again and again over the last couple months but for some reason have never been able to make myself sit down and write it…. But thats all changing today. So, here it goes….

I always knew I grew up in a legendary family. Come on, I'm a DAVIS. That word means a lot in Derby, Kansas (and now I have some of you rolling your eyes.) Seriously, everyone seems to know one of my family members. I've always been proud of my heritage. Not only have I looked upon my heritage with the utmost esteem and awe, I have also looked forward to leaving my own legacy. I wanted to be the Jim Elliot, Amy Carmichael, or Hudson Taylor. I wanted to be the Rosa Parks, Martin Luther, or Martin King Jr. I wanted to leave the earth and people be in awe. To leave a mark so big, no one could miss it!

I haven't ever worried about death. As a believer, obviously I don't really need to. However, I haven't really been looking forward to it, or the Lord's return either. When I did think about it, I didn't want to leave….not yet. I have so much I need to do. I want to keep serving, keep building, keep living. All of this was wrapped up in a godly, christian servanthood package. Be the best servant, the greatest missionary, the Sunday school teacher that motivates the next greatest missionary. There is so much that takes time to build and it needs building and I need to do in the little time that I have….build a house, start a mission, organize this, sustain that….LIFE.
LIFE the existence of an individual
Life has a funny way of absorbing us, pulling us in, and tying us down. We find ourselves suddenly content, no more than content, we find ourselves obsessed with LIFE…with existence on this earth. We would sell everything to save it. But this world is not my home. 



When I was a little girl my dad had an old red jeep. During the summer the top and sides would come off, me and the boys would pile in and dad would take us for a "jeep ride" down some old dirt roads. Whenever we went out on these grand adventures dad and us kids would sing a song that affectionately became known as the jeep song:
"I'm gonna sing, sing, sing
I'm gonna shout, shout, shout
I'm gonna sing, I'm gonna shout, Praise the Lord!
Heaven's gates are open wide
 I'm gonna sit at Jesus' side
 I'm gonna sing, I'm gonna shout, Praise the Lord!"
 You know what is often sung with this song? "Swing low, sweet chariot, coming for to carry me home." Something that is captured in these old songs that I fear we often miss is the the desire for Christ's return. I am often so busy building my kingdom here on the earth, that forget I should be looking for Him! Remember the man in Luke 12? The one who was doing well on this earth, so well that he began to build more. More barns and fields to hold his crops. I always thought this man was being smart. But in verse 20 the Lord says to him, "You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you…"


I don't want to be him. I want to Anna and Simeon…. what a beautiful picture they paint. They sought the Lord; they were near His house and His work. They searched His words to know the meaning and when they saw His promises they held onto them…no more than that, they anticipated them! If only to wait is such expectation as Simeon, that when the trump sounds and shout of the archangel is heard, I may gaze upon my Lord's face and say, "…for my eyes have seen your Salvation…."

It is a constant, every day battle, to keep my focus Heaven-Bound. When I begin to realize, truly realize the brevity of this life it amazes me. More than that, the thought that death is only the beginning for a believe. My favorite verse in Amazing Grace: "When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun, we've no less days to sing God's praise then when we've first begun." 



I don't know about you, but I don't want to be caught up in ministry, in preparing meals, in providing for others, in teaching and training. I want to be caught up in my God. So much so that I can't see anything but Him, and I long….truly LONG for His return. So, stop. Stop worrying and being caught up in raising a family, paying off the mortgage, finishing that degree, moving up the ladder at work, serving the church…. instead be caught up in your Savior. Wait for Him….Long for Him, as Anna and Simeon did at the temple. Why? Because….

This world is not our Home...
...We are just passing through



No comments:

Post a Comment