Friday, September 12, 2014

A List of Happiness

Today it feels like fall, I slept in, drank some coffee and had a very interesting (and by interesting I mean kinda awkward and totally hysterical) conversation with my brother. It's been a pretty fabulous day and it just made me think of all the things that make me happy and so I wanted to share some of them with you! So, with no further ado, here is
Jack's happiness list:
1. FALL DAYS! Seriously, how can they not make me happy? It's snuggly, fire, coffee drinking weather! It involves sweaters, jeans, boots, leg warmers and scarves, my favorite pieces of clothing. HELLO!!! I LOVE FALL!! Especially when there are heaters and fires.... 

2. GIVE ME FLANNEL! Flannel sheets, flannel shirts....I just like flannel. It's cozy. I guess I could change this list to my comfy list. My favorite is my brother's flannel plaid shirt he accidentally left with me in TN a couple years ago....I never returned it. (SHHHH...) It's comfy and it smells like him...well not so much anymore but sometimes when your away from home its nice to have things like that. 

3. COFEE, COFFEE, and more COFFEE! I can't really add anything to this. The smell in the morning, the warm mug in your hand, the strong, slightly bitter taste...its just great. 

4. BOOKS...for days... LITERALLY. Yes, I can read books for days. Set me inside an old book store and I may never come out. As someone great said, "I have lived a thousand lives..." people who don't read need help. And books are always better than movies. Take Maleficent for instance, only a movie would ruin the perfectly classic tale of Sleeping Beauty by taking out Prince Phillip's true love's kiss! SERIOUSLY!!!! ok, sorry for that little rant but really...read books people.

5. CLASSIC MOVIES. Yes, I love once upon a time and Captain America, but there is nothing like Anne of Green Gables, Les Misrable, Singing in the Rain, The Sound of Music, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Shop Around the Corner, Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Wives and Daughters...the list goes on and on. Man, I need to go watch some movies! Janzen's come home!!! I need my library back!

6. QUILTS! It's like old houses or family Bibles. Quilts hold a piece of history, a story with every scrap of fabric, every stitch. It's like a family museum wrapped up in a cuddly way. They just make me smile.  :D

7. THAT SONG. You all know what I am talking about. It changes with time but its always there. That song that just leaps through the radio and grabs your heart. Every time you hear you smile and think, "how on earth did they know?" 'Cause they totally pegged your life at this moment. Yep, those songs.

8. JOURNALS! I seriously have a problem. I have notebooks for days. But, I believe you always need a notebook around. As Jack London said, "Keep a notebook. Travel with it, eat with it, sleep with it. Slap into it every stray thought that flutters up into your brain." and if you keep that advice, then you can be like Oscar Wilde who said, "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train." Yep, I may have a lot of journals but I always have something to write on and something to read.

9. DISHES!! Guys, I don't even have a kitchen!! Why is it that teacups call me from every antique shop window? Why is it that the moment I enter Target I'm drawn to the dish section like a magnet? Maybe that is why my favorite disney princess is Belle, because we both understand the importance and beauty of dishes...

10. HUGS... I know some people will read this and be like, "Ya, right. JP does not like hugs." But sometimes in the perfect moment, a hug is exactly what I need. They are important. Like hugging Caleb just because he LOVES hugs. (haha) The moment you're wrapped in your dad's arms and you feel like his little girl again. The time your brother gives you a side hug as you smile for a photo can make you feel like the luckiest sister ever. I love it when grandpa pulls me into a hug and begins singing. Hugs are just great. They make you feel safe, and loved and they make me look forward to one day when I stand before the throne of grace and the moment I see HIM face to face. I know exactly what I am going to do in that moment. I'm going to run right into his arms. That will be the best hug ever. 

So, there you have a few things that put a smile on my face. Oh, there is one more, one word that can instantly put a smile on my face. What is is?



KANSAS!!



No comments:

Post a Comment