Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Follow Me

Summer Camp passes by so quickly. Even though there are so many great memories and funny moments you can't put them into words. It's like a giant inside joke! Even if you try and explain what happened people just don't get it. But there is one instance that happened this summer that I must recount.

Oh my poor car... we haven't had trouble in a year or two! Besides her squeaking. Oh, and the zip ties holding up her bumper finally broke and needed replaced. Then there was that tube that let air into the engine or something....anyways it needed replaced. But, you know she's getting old. She can't do everything she used to! But, she thinks she can. She keeps telling me she has traveled all across the south and hasn't killed me yet. (which is true, thank goodness!) I'm getting ahead of myself.

It was my last weekend at camp and apparently it needed to memorable. Juan had thrown a counselor party that Friday night and although this sensible old lady went to bed on time, the rest of them played pong, threw up after too much Mt. Dew, played some basketball and then crashed here at camp about 3 in the morning. (silly people) I got up at a reasonable time, put in laundry, started cleaning my room and then found Aly sleeping in the counselor's lounge. Thankfully my good friend can live with only a few hours of sleep. :) We decided to swim the lake. (a weekend tradition) However, we needed someone to boat for us just in case. Everyone was asleep! So, we texted Doug-Mitch, Mitch-Doug. (I forgot I have to explain his name. I feel like it was Isaac and I's first official act as head counselors. You see we arrived for counselor training and there were 2 Mitch counselors. The dilemma was fixed without even a thought. You see Mitch happened to hold open a door for Isaac and I. Isaac replied with a, "Thanks Dawg." Well I heard, "Thanks Doug." I was like, "Did you just call him Doug? Why did you call him Doug?" and Isaac was like, "I called him Dawg. But we can call him Doug." He then turned and asked, "Are you cool with being Doug?" Doug shrugged his shoulders and was like "Sure." and He has hence forth been known as DOUG. It's like Saul/Paul, Abram/Abraham, Jacob/Israel.....ok he didn't wrestle with the Lord or see the Lord on the road....the point is, his name changed) Doug said he would boat for us as soon as he threw his eyes into his skull.....which is a weird response but whatever.

We had a nice quiet morning talking and hanging out on the lake. When we determined that we wanted to get lunch and go for a drive. So, we changed, grabbed our wallets, keys and Natasha. Natasha and Doug road in his truck "lola" (silly name for a truck right?) and Aly and I road in my car. We grabbed some Arby's (The Serna's had never eaten at Arby's!! Crazy!) and then Doug said he wanted to show us this awesome spot he found down my Lake Alfred. "Just Follow me." He said. I want to tell you right now, if ANYONE says "Follow Me" besides Jesus, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!! 

We drove down some back roads listening and singing to country music, following Doug's truck. Suddenly he turned off the road and down a dirt path beside an orange grove. He had told me to follow him, I thought this was the spot he was talking about. About half way down the road, full of sand, I was like "Oh, I'm gonna get stuck!" But, I made it. I rolled down the window and Doug looked shocked. (What! Did he want me to get stuck in the sand?) We both circled around and began to leave. Doug went first, kicking up a ton of sand. I'm not sure if he was showing off or almost got stuck. Either way I was worried I may not make it out. I had a good reason to worry. "Stay on the grass!" Aly and Doug said. WHAT GRASS!?!?!?! Sure enough, I made it to the sandiest spot and down my car went like it was in sinking sand.

My car and I have been through a lot together. I know when she is in trouble and she was in trouble. However, I had Aly in my car who was determined she could fix the situation through brut force. She took the driver seat and slammed on the gas again and again, sinking my poor car deeper and deeper into the mire. That brut force might work for most things but my poor car is old and decrepit. The poor thing needs a gentle touch. Heaven's to Betsy!

Most people would freak out at this moment but thank goodness I have seasoned experience with car trouble. This time I wasn't alone, stuck were I didn't know how to give directions for someone to help me, or on a mountain. It was looking pretty good this time. We tried over and over to get her out. We tried pulling her out, (which wasn't easy to try and do. It was hard enough to find a spot to tie the ropes on and then when we did finally have her tied up the ropes broke!) we tried digging her out, and we tried using car mats to help give friction. Nothing worked. My car was very, very stuck. Finally, Doug said he would go get some chains from camp and we could pull her out. Well, if you think that will work. So, Aly and I sat in the scorching heat as Doug and Natasha left to get the chain. It was sooooo hot out!!! But thankfully there were orange trees nearby. We walked through the orange grove and found a shady spot. Aly began a video diary as if we were out in the wilderness trying to survive. She started talking about find food, water and digging a latrine. Uhhhh What?! Aly, we haven't even been out here very long. Calm down.

Well, the chain did work and my car got out of its mire pit. At this point Aly took over and decided she needed to drive. I love Aly, but she is a horrible driver! This story proves it because as soon as we got my car unstuck, she drove through the orange trees (where there was more grass so I wouldn't get stuck) and got me stuck again! She missed the spot she was suppose to turn and get out of the grove, tried to back up and backed right into the orange tree, went forward and got stuck in the sand......We finally made it out after Doug once again pulled out my car and I took over the wheel. I still have the scratches on my car to prove the whole story! Like I said, my last weekend needed to be memorable. My little old car, with all its scratches and bruises, is just fine and made it all the way from Florida to Kansas. Heaven's to Betsy that car is awesome. I think I'll keep her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment