Monday, May 13, 2013

The Wind in my Hair, and Zip Ties on my Bumper

     Cars and I, we have a very......well, interesting relationship. My little green Mazda and I have been through a lot over the years. (and after this post, no one will ever drive with me again. lol) I am a firm believe that God uses cars to teach us. Whether it be patience, anger control or just plain common sense. Yep, my car has taught me much of those things over the years. Our relationship began in the winter of 2009. White Snow covered the ground, it was almost Christmas; and there I stood, peering into the window of a 2001 Mazda Protege. (your dream car, right? LOL. Hey as long as it runs, I love it!) After my dad talked to the car dealer, signed papers, and handed over a check, the baby was mine. I sat behind the wheel of MY car for the first time. I started her up, put her in gear and started to drive. I drove for about 2 Seconds when I was suddenly stuck in a mountain of snow.   Ya, that made a good first impression.
     The next day it was Christmas! I was so excited to drive my new car to Grandma's (two blocks away) to show all my cousins. I parked my car near the end of the drive, in a perfectly logical and legal spot! We had a great Christmas, it was late. Mom was taking the two little girls home, but a few seconds later she came back in crying. Apparently she didn't see my dark green car as she was backing out. And that was my cars first dent. It was sad, but my mom was crying and I felt worse for her. Needless to say, that dent stayed there for a year or two. It was joined by another not long after where my dad accidentally slammed his door into my car. So, my car wasn't treated like a princess.
     Not long after I got my car I was driving home from church late at night. Now, in my little old car, the lights are the kind you twist on and off on the same handle as the blinker. (just to clarify) Ya, you know what's coming don't you? I look in my rearview mirror to see those bright flashing red and blue lights. I pulled over and I got my first experience of being pulled over. If that wasn't bad enough, the guy played football with my dad in high school. That's what happens when you live in a small town and half the town is your relatives. (so, I'm exaggerating a little.) Thank goodness, there was no ticket involved, but unfortunately that was not the only time I got pulled over for not having my lights on. *Sigh* the next time it was worse 'cause Hunter was in the back seat frantically trying to put on a seatbelt while my friend Erika laughed and stuffed french fries in my mouth thinking it would help calm me down. It didn't!! Needless to say, I really don't prefer to drive in the dark.
     Years pass, a few stains, a few pieces fell off here and there. Thanks to my brother Hunter, I can no longer tell when I am in 1 or 2 gear. But hey, I never used those anyways. My radio volume knob fell off too but I can still use it. It just doesn't match everything else on the dash. But, I need a car, not a model. As long as it runs.....
     Then came the spring of 2010, I came down with Strep throat. (It was all my Aunt's fault! She gave it to me when I was helping her move.) Worst sickness ever! My mom made me go to the doctor. IF you know me at all, you know I HATE doctors. I won't go unless it is absolutely necessary, or my mom forces me. But, what I hate worse than doctors or nurses jamming wooden sticks down your throat, is NEEDLES!!! Ughh...just the thought.  But, that is what I got, a stinking shot, in my BUTTOCK! SERIOUSLY!!! So, now I feel awful, probably running a fever, my rear is sore, and I am driving home on Rock Road (a big road for Kansas) in 5 O'clock traffic. That is when it happened, my first wreck. A three car pile up, where I was at the front. And that is when I started crying. I feel stupid for doing so but I couldn't help it! I felt even worse when the fire-man came by and ask if I was alright and I said yes as tears poured from my face. (How embarrassing!) The state trooper came by next and pulled us all off the road and over to a nearby parking lot, telling us to wait for the local police to come. Well, we waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, one of the guys called the police department. They didn't even know to come!! Really! The operator also told him that we were low priority, it was rush hour, and shift change and it might be a while. Well, I guess we know when to rob a bank in Wichita. Really? Shift change at the same time as rush hour? Very efficient. Anyways, after an hour of waiting and then an hour of filling out papers I finally went home. But, the nightmare wasn't over cause I had to deal with the insurance, who, even though it wasn't my fault but their clients fault, wanted to total my car and make me pay $500 to get it back!!! REALLY?!?! He dented my bumper!!
   
 For weeks after, I was always nervous when I had to stop at stoplights or anywhere else. I kept thinking someone would run into me. My fear turned out to be legit because as I was sitting at a red light not to long after, someone did rear end me! It was at a bad intersection so I told him we would go pull into a restaurant passed it and exchange information. Well, that didn't work. Next thing I know, He is gone and I have to call in a hit and run.
     Life goes on, I had a couple friends with me, it was Summer and they like to drive down country roads. So, I took them down some dirt roads. We had a good time, wind blowing, music blaring and then suddenly, CAR SMOKING!! YIKES! Well, that wasn't good. my car was broken and I was stranded out on some dirt road. What is worse was I couldn't tell anyone how to get there. I wasn't necessarily lost mind you. I could probably make my way home, but to tell someone how to get to me? Well, that didn't' work. Terrified of what I parents would say, I called the only person left, my brother! After a long, long, long time of them trying to find us, they managed to get us home. Unfortunately my car wasn't so lucky. They had to fix some belt and get her later. Thank goodness for brother's and Grandpa.
     Well, all was eventually fixed, my car looked well.....better and the only thing left was to get my salvage title. I went up to the big city one day to get it all squared away. A lady with a clipboard came out to my car. She asked me to open the hood. (Now, you know my and cars. Ya, it took me a while to figure that one out.) I finally got it, she peered in for a second, wrote down something and started speed walking back to the office. Slightly unsure of what to do, I girly slammed the hood down and followed.  That turned out to be horrible!! Driving down Kellogg, 60mph, my hood flew up on me. That was the end of my hood. I had to sit on a busy road and wait for my Grandpa to come rescue me with bailing wire. Ya, that was one "red-neck" hood. Don't worry, I got it fixed. The guys down at the auto shop were my best friends that year.
     Well months passed and my car made it all the way from Kansas to Tennessee! Up on the mountain in the snow was my next great adventure! Let me clarify, before I tell you what happened. A few weeks before I had had a very realistic and creepy dream. I was in a little truck I drove around campus and started to roll backwards. I tried everything but it wouldn't stop! I ended up falling off a cliff on campus to my death. It was so real that the next morning when i woke up I literally said to myself, "I died last night!" Creepy right? So, I told my dad the story and he said that if that ever happened, just jump out. Back to real life, it had snowed. I was headed down the hill to work in my car (not smart), when I started to slide. I pressed the brake, it didn't work, I pulled the emergency brake, it didn't work! My dream was coming true!! So, I opened the door and jumped. I know, I know, it was dumb!! But, I was fine and my car ran into the mountain and just broke the bumper. To this day it is zip tied together. I'm telling you, zip ties are the new duck tape! Although my car and I have been through a lot together, she has survived from Kansas to Tennessee, from Tennessee back to Kansas, from Kansas to Missouri, and back several times and finally from Kansas to Florida. What can I say that car is a trooper. I think I'll ride her until she just falls to pieces right in the middle of the road, and with my luck, that is totally possible, ANY DAY.

CARS TEACH YOU MANY A THING ABOUT LIFE
   

No comments:

Post a Comment