Wednesday, April 17, 2013

This is KANSAS speaking, from her trailer in Florida..........

The Bizarre is always bound to happen to me. I think that is pretty safe to say. Just read my blog. I mean really, and TODAY, well it was no different. To be honest I had asked for it. I had thought to myself just the other day that nothing exciting had happen to me in a while. (Boy, that was brilliant of me. Like praying for patience!) It all started with a late night celebration in the office. Let me clarify something, by "late night" I mean the craziness began at 10:30pm. Ya, I'm a boring early bird. You keep me out past 10:30 and I become strange........OK, stranger. It starts out a little giddy, then it moves to uncontrollable laughter about EVERYTHING, to starting to get groggy, to I'm really not here and could totally fall asleep standing up. Needless to say, I was in the office 'til midnight when I finally made it home and into bed. Before I left I had arranged with Jamie for her to be at my house at 6:45 to leave for a conference the next morning. (we have to leave early to get coffee) So, I set my alarm, honestly thinking I wouldn't need it. (Dude I like have an internal clock. I always wake up before my alarm. Except today.) Yep, that's right. Not only did I need my alarm but I needed three of them, louder and possible someone to throw water on me. Thankful, my salvation came in the form of a phone call, not a bucket of water. As soon as I heard it, I knew! RATS!!!! I grab the phone and try to make clear words come out of my groggy brain. "Oh, dear. I'll be there in a second." I throw off the covers, toss my phone and my glasses into my nearby purse, throw it over my shoulder and head to the bathroom. In my stupor I looked in the mirror, "Great I accidentally slept in my staff shirt. Just throw on some jeans." I pulled on my jeans and threw on some deodorant, and some perfume(the bare necessities). I look on my counter and saw a box of tic tacs. "Perfect I don't have to brush my teeth!"   The last touch, bobby pins, and I headed for the door. Flip flops by the door will have to do and I walk outside. Suddenly I realized something was not right. Jamie was suppose to pick me up by my house, yet Hope was the one to call and no one is outside my door. OH NO!!! Jamie forgot too!!!! About 20min later I sat in the car headed to Orlando, with no coffee. :(
     We finally made it. We were only half awake but, enjoying each others company and slightly excited for what the day would bring. Little did I know that it was only the beginning. We walk through the doors and are handed a bag of goodies. There are people everywhere. Tables from camps and ministries, talking to people and handing out literature. But my mind was on one thing, and one thing alone. COFFEE! Finally, I noticed someone with a cup, and then another and another. Then, there it was a beautiful sight! A coffee shop! YA!! I go and get in line. People behind me and people in front of me. Jamie asked me to give her half of the flyers I was holding and in my attempt to do so, One, just one went flying under the rope to the other side of the line. I plunged for it! finally, when it was in my grasp I went back under the rope and stood up, and thats when disaster hit. In the blink of an eye, my flip-flop snapped! It wasn't the the "Ops it came out and I can push it back thru the hole and keep walking" kind of snap, no it couldn't be that simple. It snapped completely, there was no way to even try and walk with it. So, I did what anyone would do in my situation. When ever your in a totally embarrassing situation and feel like crying, you LAUGH! (It helped that I was completely out of it with lack of sleep.) So, I discretely put my broken flip flop in my purse, as Jamie and I cracked up laughing. There I stood in the middle of the coffee line, with one flip-flop on and another off. Of course, this would happen to me! I hobbled up to the register and ordered my coffee. At least I get coffee!! I stood beside Jamie and waited for the coffee to come out.
     To be honest it felt good to take off my shoe. I love going barefoot. I always have. My mother used to constantly reprimand me for running outside barefoot. My feet used to be so tough I could run across gravel! Even today, you can more than likely find me sitting in the office my shoes sitting to the side of my desk. But, to stand and walk around in a conference with hundreds of people, barefoot, when you are suppose to wear shoes. Now, thats another story! So, I pulled out my phone as we waited and came up with a plan. There must be a Walgreens or something around here!! Good, found one. Six Minutes away! I looked up as I heard, "Grande, Carmel Machiato" I grabbed the coffee form the lady's hand and we headed back out the door. As, we walked down the pathway I thought of ways to explain my half bare feet. I looked at Jamie and said, "You know, I could just say that I have been convicted by God to take off my shoes on Holy ground. I mean we are at a church." As I was rattling on about my predicament and the many interesting solutions, several guys passed us by. At just that moment of course, I ended my sentence with a sarcastic "Hello" To which one gentleman looked back and replied "HI!" Ops, I wasn't talking to him! This made me laugh even harder. We finally reached our vehicle, and started to drive. I was settling in, looking at the directions when we suddenly went over a bump in the road. Well, there went some of my coffee, right onto my leg. OUCH! All well, it will match my bare foot.
     Minutes down the road we made it to a Walgreens. As we are pulling into the parking lot, a car decided s to pull out in front of us. NOw, typically I am not a honker, but today I was in a silly mood, I reached over and began to honk at the car. IT was a good think I did because in the next few seconds it was obvious that he didn't see us!! WE came THIS close to getting mutilated by the other car! (I might be exaggerating a little bit). After a sigh of relief, we park. I open the door and then it hits me. I HAVE TO WALK IN WITH ONLY ONE SHOE!!!! Ughh. Well, you have to do what you have to do! SO I bravely stepped out of the car into the dirty parking lot and strutted through the doors. Trying to avoid any personal contact with anyone, who might see my foot, I walked around the back of the aisle. We only got distracted once, it was Oz the great and powerful nail polish! Can you blame us!! But we eventually found the flip-flops and found a pair in my size. I went to the cash register hoping she couldn't see my feet over the counter. I grab the bag of my recently purchased shoes and head out the door. I hobble to the car, sit down. I throw my demolished shoes into the back as Jamie pulls out of the parking lot. I look up as she cries in frustration about not being able to make a U-Turn. "OH, I'm going to do it anyway." She said and that's when I yelled out "NO!! You want to get pulled over?" She reluctantly obeyed my sever warning and went up to the next turn. At that moment she saw the cop that was just waiting to pull someone over. "Oh my goodness. How did you know?" she exclaimed. UHHHH.....with the way this day had been going? Seriously, it was the day to get pulled over. A laid my head back against the seat hoping the rest of the day would be more normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment