Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Exalted among the Nations

Have you ever sat still in the cool of the evening and watched as the sky melted into color upon color? Have you ever sat back and watched heat lightening shatter through the sky? Have you ever stood in the doorway, the breeze blowing across your face as a rain storm came closer and closer to your door?

Our God is a mighty God. We know this. We talk about it. We preach on it. We hold onto it. We study it. We act upon it. We share it. But do we sit and watch it??

I was Camp Gilead one weekend. The guy head counselor and I were with some other summer staff enjoying the lake front. Isaac and I were sitting on the square dock out in the middle of the lake. Neither of us were talking. We sat and enjoyed the silence. Some of the younger staff came over blaring music and being loud. I remember Isaac's comment and have often thought of it...he said, "I think there is a certain maturity required to sit silently." I think he is right. I remember being a little girl, spending the night at my grandparents house. Early in the morning hours I would wake up and creep up the stairs. Every time I did so I saw the same thing. Grandma and Grandpa sat on the couches facing the glass doors out to the beautiful back yard. They each had a cup of coffee in their hand. There was little talking, but when they did it was slow and quiet. I loved those early morning hours with my grandparents. How calming and beautiful it was to sit in secure silence.


I have to say there is very few calm, silent moments in my life these days. Camp ministry or ANY ministry for that matter is not what I would call calm...or silent. I am so thankful for the courageous fury that fuels and propels ministry into loving action. It is necessary and pretty incredible. It show's God's grace and providence that missionaries can last as long as they do in such a state. I have often talked about the chaos of ministry... but that is not what I want to talk about tonight. No, there is another chaos within our own souls. We are busy with righteous fury. Especially these days. Yep, the election has spurred more righteous and unrighteous fury amongst this nation than I have ever seen. We have debated, argued, and counter-argued. We have educated ourselves. We have listened, read, watched and followed. We have participated. We have spoken for or against. We have supported or denied support. It is safe to say we have been active. More active than I have seen people be in an election since I have been following elections. (Which was at a very young age thanks to my grandmother.) But now the election is here. A day we wait for with bated-breath and uneasy anticipation. In these final moments, when we feel like world could come crashing around us, what do we do?
“...Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things..."
Oh, how we are like Martha these days. We are ready to get things right. We are preparing for the Lord's arrival. We are on a righteous crusade to bring this nation back to the Word of God. I praise the Lord that so many of his people desire a world that is ruled by the Word of God. But how anxious and troubled we are. We are anxious about results. We are anxious about the state of our homes, our states, our nation. We are troubled by what we see, hear and watch. We are troubled by the evil around us. We are troubled by satan's havoc in the world. Yes, there are so many things to be anxious and troubled about. But I don't want to be a Martha. I don't want to be anxious about tomorrow...my future, the present, my work, my ministry, or my home. I want to "be anxious for nothing." I want to "cast all my cares on Him." I want to have the "peace that passes all understanding." Yes, there may be trouble in this world but "[HE] has overcome the world!" Can I not rest in that? Can I not sit in secure silence, knowing that all may not be right but HE IS GOOD? The second part of this very is convicting and lovely all at the same time. It is like a deep sigh of relief.

"...but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”
BUT ONE THING IS NECESSARY! As I was driving from NC back to HQ this last weekend a verse kept running through my head. I was driving through the beautiful national forest. The leaves are changing colors. the sun was rising and the car was silent. It was me and God. And Psalms 46:10 rolled over and over in my head. "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." We often hear about being still. We have heard sermon upon sermon on that part of the verse. Have you ever mediated on the second part of the verse?? Nations will exult Him. NATIONS. I love the way the Holman says it, "Stop your fighting--and know that I am God, exalted among the nations, exalted on the earth." Isn't that just so fitting? 


It is time to sit back and WATCH. Our God is good. Our God is great. He is sovereign. He is mighty. He is in control. Yeah, we have talked about that. We have preached it to each other over the course of the last couple months. But now...NOW is the time for us as believers to sit in secure silence and watch our GOD MOVE. 

Elisha stood still and watched as God's army defended him from his enemies. Moses and the children of Israel stood still and watched as God stopped the egyptians with fire, as he parted the read sea, as he closed the sea upon the chariots. Daniel stood still and watch God close the mouths of lions. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abendnego stood still in the fiery furnace as their God delivered them. 


To think that we, as frail human beings, can change the world is crazy. What pride. What arrogance. Our God is the one who moves. He is the one who changes hearts. He is the one who directs kings like a watercourse. He is the one who saves. Yes, he calls us to action on many occasions. Sometimes though I think we get so caught up DOING FOR GOD, that we forget that GOD DOES. Sometimes I think He is waiting for us to sit down to be silent and watch. Did you ever meet that kid that wouldn't shut up? They had all the answers and all the questions. They made themselves the center of attention and were determined to be a part of the solution. You just wanted to tell them to shut up and sit down for a minute. Maybe they would learn something. Maybe you would fix the problem they had. Sometimes I think we are that kid. Brings a whole new meaning to Psalms 46:10 for me.... 

I don't know about you but I am ready. I am ready to grow up a little bit and show some maturity. I am ready to sit in secure silence. I may not know it all or understand but I know the one who does. I'm going to sit still in the presence of my King and watch as he works for my good and for his glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment